My main line of research is the study of the influence of redox modulators in cancer. I am actively interested in understanding the influence of cellular redox pathways in different features of cancer cells, including proliferation, motility and invasiveness. These studies could contribute to the comprehension of the redox biology of cancer and to the development of novel therapeutic strategies. In this regard, I have been particularly interested in Superoxide dismutase mimics (SODm) and in studying the potential use of these compounds as anticancer drugs for breast and renal cancer therapy. Although these compounds are in clinical trials for certain cancer types, only very scarce information is available regarding their potential impact in metastases-related processes, namely in cell migration and invasion. In addition, I am also interested in exploring the anti-metastatic properties of food bioactive compounds (eg, thymoquinone or erucin).
- Cell culture;
- Cytotoxicity and genotoxicity assays;
- Cell adhesion, migration, and invasion assays;
- Oxidative stress-related assays
Advanced microscopy techniques
1) Flórido A, Saraiva N, Cerqueira S, Almeida N, Parsons M, Batinic-Haberle I, Miranda JP, Costa JG, Carrara G, Castro M, Oliveira NG*, Fernandes AS*. The manganese(III) prophyrin MnTnHex-2-PyP5+ modulates intracellular ROS and breast cancer cell migration: Impact in doxorubicin-treated cells. Redox Biology 2019, 20: 367-378.
2) Guerreiro PS, Corvacho E, Costa JG, Saraiva N, Fernandes AS, Castro M, Miranda JP, Oliveira NG. The APE1 redox inhibitor E3330 reduces collective cell migration of human breast cancer cells and decreases chemoinvasion and colony formation when combined with docetaxel. Chemical Biology & Drug Design 2017, 90(4):561-571.
3) Egea J, (…), Fernandes AS, (…), Daiber A. European Contribution to the study of ROS: A Summary of the Findings and Prospects for the Future from the COST Action BM1203 (EU-ROS). Redox Biology 2017, 13: 94-162.
4) Costa, JG, Saraiva N, Guerreiro PS, Louro H, Silva MJ, Miranda JP, Castro M, Batinic-Haberle I, Fernandes AS*, Oliveira NG*. Ochratoxin A-induced cytotoxicity, genotoxicity and reactive oxygen species in kidney cells: an integrative approach of complementary endpoints. Food and Chemical Toxicology 2016, 87, 65-76. (*Shared senior authorship).
5) Fernandes AS, Flórido A, Saraiva N, Cerqueira S, Ramalhete S, Cipriano M, Cabral MF, Miranda JP, Castro M, Costa J, Oliveira NG. Role of the copper(II) complex CupyN5 in intracellular ROS and breast cancer cell motility and invasion. Chemical Biology and Drug Design 2015, 86:578-588.
9-11 September 2019, Trnava, Slovakia