In our group we investigate the hypothalamus and hypothalamic related systems/mechanisms as underlying mediatora and targets for interventional strategies in counteracting aging and related diseases. In this context the group focuses the research on the following scientific questions: i) How aging and aging related disease change hypothalamus? ii) Can we delay premature aging of Hutchinson Gilford progeria syndrome (HGPS) rodent models, normal aging or aging related diseases, by targeting the hypothalamus or using hypothalamic related mechanisms? iii) Which targets in the hypothalamus could we manipulate to reduce obesity and insuline resistance? iv) How caloric restriction (CR) and related mechanisms delay aging and aging-related diseases?
Cellular marker of aging/senescence
Progeria fibroblasts in culture.
Progeria rodent model.
Sirtuin 1 and 2.
New methodologies/technologies to evaluate cellular aging markers.
New models of aging.
• Cunha-Santos J, Duarte-Neves J, Carmona V, Guarente L, Pereira de Almeida L* & Cavadas C* - Caloric restriction blocks neuropathology and motor deficits in Machado-Joseph disease mouse models through SIRT1 pathway. Nature Communications 2016, 7:11445.
• Ferreira-Marques M, Aveleira CA, Carmo-Silva S, Botelho M, Pereira de Almeida L and Cavadas C (2016) Caloric restriction stimulates autophagy in rat cortical neurons through neuropeptide Y and ghrelin receptors activation. Aging (Albany NY) 8:1470-1484.
• Cavadas C, Aveleira C, Souza G, Velloso L. Defective proteostasis in the hypothalamus A relevant pathophysiological mechanism from obesity to ageing. Nature Reviews Endocrinology 2016 (in press)
• Botelho M & Cavadas C. Neuropeptide Y: an anti-aging player? Trends in Neurosciences 2015, 38(11):701-11
• Aveleira CA, Botelho M, Carmo-Silva S, Pascoal JF, Ferreira-Marques M, Nóbrega, C, Cortes L, Valero J, Sousa-Ferreira L, Álvaro AR, Santana M, Kügler S, Pereira de Almeida L, Cavadas C. Neuropeptide Y stimulates autophagy in hypothalamic neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 vol. 112 no. 13 E1642-E1651
9-11 September 2019, Trnava, Slovakia